Monday, September 1, 2014

Reflective Teaching - 30 Day Blogging Challenge

So, just as I'm thinking about how to ensure that I am blogging and reflecting more on my practice as a teacher, I saw this tweet from Erin Klein and TeachThought:



Perfect! I'm so in - and there's a list of great questions on the TeachThought Blog to help inspire reflection and provide framework, which is just what I need.  30 days can help a new habit form, and that's something that I (and many teachers) try to do at the beginning of the school year. 

Here's Blog No. 1 on the first day of September - which makes my little Type A heart dance a little.

Day 1: Write your goals for the school year.  Be as specific or abstract as you'd like to be!

I think my goals for the school year as similar to the goals that most (all teachers) have. 

I want to build deep and meaningful relationships with my students/their families, my teaching team, and my colleagues. 

I want to help my students grow, change, and achieve - at their level, whatever that may be for them. 

I want my students to pursue their passions, to feel engaged, challenged, and excited by their work. 

I want my students to be able to persevere and put their own spin on their learning even during those times when they're not feeling particularly engaged or excited.

I want to my students to know that failure isn't a bad word, and that great things come with patience AND hard work - and that iterate is my new favourite word (thanks to Steph and Dana at Telus Spark and the amazing Spark SHIFTLab).  

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” - Thomas Edisonhttp://www.thomasedison.org/index.php/education/edison-quotes/


I want my students to understand the value of a variety of different ways of learning, experimenting and finding the way(s) that work best for them. 

I want my kids to understand that fair doesn't always mean equal. 



I want my kids to have a fabulous year at school.  This is their real world and it's going to be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment