Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day 3 - Observation

Day 3 of the Reflective Teaching 30 Day Blogging Challenge

Discuss one “observation” area that you would like to improve on for your teacher evaluation.

This is a great question for me right now, as I've moved grades (straight Grade 4 to Grades 4-6), streams (inquiry to Montessori), and teaching positions (I'm co-teaching this year).  It's a lot of change and although I find change to be exciting and interesting, it's awesome to try something new, and I love to learn......I know myself and I do often have some difficulty as I transition into a new situation.   

So, in light of all of that, one "observation" area that I'd like to improve on for my teacher evaluation is probably my confidence.  When I'm in the midst of a change, I can get a bit anxious and worried about what I'm doing, and I can perseverate on the negative, the things that went "wrong," the things I want to change.  Reflection is a good, important practice, but I need to remember to also reflect on the things that went well, not just the things that went "wrong" (really, a different way than I expected) or the things that I could do better.

So, on that note - I had a great day with the kids today!  I'm starting to understand how things work in this new classroom, and my place in it.  Looking forward to another great day tomorrow :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment