Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Day 9 - Accomplishments

Day 9 of the Reflective Teaching 30 Day Blogging Challenge

Write about one of your biggest accomplishments in your teaching that no one knows about (or may not care).

One of my biggest accomplishments in teaching is that I became a teacher at all. I originally thought I'd become a teacher when I was finishing up my first degree, but I chickened out and got a Master's degree in History instead.  I thought I'd become a professor one day, but I quickly realized that though I loved teaching and researching, I did not love writing nearly as much.  I spent a few years working as an Environmental Educator, providing in-class workshops to elementary and junior high schools.  It was then that I realized that I really wanted to teach elementary school.  Each time I went into a school, I didn't want to leave. 
So, with the support of my loving husband and with a 16 month old going to daycare for the first time, I went back to school to get my third degree at the age of 29.  My husband is still as supportive as ever, the baby is now 6 years old and in Grade 1, and I get a wave of excitement every time that I get to say to someone, "I'm a teacher."

No comments:

Post a Comment